“The goal which all the Vedas declare, which all austerities aim at, and which men desire when they lead the life of continence … is Om. This syllable Om is indeed Brahman. Whosoever knows this syllable obtains all that he desires. This is the best support; this is the highest support. Whosoever knows this support is adored in the world of Brahma.” ~ Katha Upanishad I
In Depth Articles
- Yoga and Stress Reduction
- What is Om
- What is Namaste
- What are Chakras
- Words heard in a Yoga Class
- 10 essential foods for good health
- Frequently Asked Questions about a Yoga Class
Recommended Yoga Resource Sites
- Different Styles of Yoga – This site explains the different styles of Yoga in an easy to understand manner.
- Dharma Mitra 908 poses – The famous 908 poses performed by Dharma Mitra himself.
- Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health – The premier Yoga and Health retreat center in the Northeast, located in the Berkshires. The site is very comprehensive and many of the leading experts in the fields of Yoga and Health conduct seminars, classes and retreats at Kripalu. The center is open to the public and the website has a calendar listing all events for each month.
- OMEGA – Through innovative educational experiences that awaken the best in the human spirit, Omega provides hope and healing for individuals and society.
- YogaFinder – A great resource to find a Yoga studio in another city or state when you are traveling.
- Yoga Poses (Asanas) – The Yoga Journal site has a comprehensive list of Hatha Yoga poses. The site also offers a variety of articles and even a magazine subscription.
Become educated about yoga mats by reading my article all about mats. Below are links to eco-friendly and high quality yoga mat makers. Most offer mats to meet your budget and needs.
- Manduka – German manufacturer that offers a variety of mats which are considered the best in the world. Comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Yoga Mat by Jade – Pure natural rubber, eco-friendly and quality construction mats.
- Gecko Mat – David Swenson, an ashtanga master makes a German manufactured mat which is considered one of the best.
- Natural Fitness – Offers eco-friendly & top grade products.
Yoga Supplies & more
- EverythingYoga – A place to shop when looking for clothing, music, gifts, yoga supplies & more
- Worlds Healthiest Foods – A wonderful site to learn about natural food and the significance of nutients. A great place to visit often.
- Yoga Accessories – A site that offers a full array of yoga related items from clothing to books
Other Favorite Sites:
Jennifer Phelan Pilates – A talented certified power pilates instructor in Boston that just so happens to be my daughter
Abby Brack – A superb photojournalist that has experienced so much at such a young age
- Yoga and the Quest for True Self by Stephen Cope.
- The Science of Yoga by Shri Yogendra.
- Hatha Yoga Simplified by Shri Yogendra.
- Yoga Hygiene Simplified by Shri Yogendra.
- Kripalu Hatha Yoga Book by Christopher Ken Baxter – This is an illustrated book and presents 26 postures that provide a complete, well-rounded practice for beginners and experienced Yoga students.
- Yoga Asanas Simplified by Shri Yogendra – the founder President of the Yoga Institute of Santacruz, Mumbai.
- The Yoga Tradition by George Feuerstein, a comprehensive book of over 700 pages on the history, literature, philosophy and practice of all traditions and branches of Yoga.
- The Shambhala Guide by George Feuerstein, a short introductory book on Yoga.
- The Shambhala Encyclopedia of Yoga by George Feuerstein, a collection that provides a methodical summary of the complex Yoga tradition and all its key concepts.
- The Tree of Yoga by B. K. S. Iyengar, which uses the symbol of the tree to explain various yogic paths.
- Yoga by Judith Lasater- It examines the moral principles and practices of Yoga, as everyday application.
- Yoga as Philosophy and Religion by S N Dasgupta.
- Yoga by Bouanchou, a translation of and practical commentary on the Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali.
- Tantra- the Path of Ecstasy by George Feuerstein, a systematic summary of the teachings of the important but widely misunderstood branch of Yoga called Tantrism.
- Meditation for Dummies by Stephan Bodian, a useful practical introduction to Yoga’s central art of meditation.
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda- a popular and inspirational account of the amazing life of a modern master of Yoga.
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnu-Devananda.
- Meditation and Mantras by Swami Vishnu-Devananda.
- Yoga for Women Simplified by Smt Sitadevi.
- Bliss Divine by Swami Sivananda.
Books are available at The Yogi Coach Store